Monday, January 31, 2011

food journal

I thought I would share what's on my menu today just for a bit more added accountability. All the calories are approximate according to sparkpeople. I have also included the Weight Watchers PointPlus calculations just to see how it compares. All the fruits and veggies are changed to the colors that they are (more on this later).

8am Breakfast (481 calories; 11 points):
1/2 cup orange juice
Bagel sandwich - 1 Thomas' Everything bagel thin, 2 tsp low fat chive & onion cream cheese, 1 slice low fat cheddar cheese, scrambled 1 egg + 1 egg white, and 2 slices Canadian bacon
1 large cup coffee w/2 Tbsp creamer

10am Mid-morning snack (172 calories; 2 points):
1/2 cup raspberries
6 oz fat free strawberry yogurt
1 orange

12pm Lunch (358 calories; 8 points):
2 slices whole wheat bread
6 thin slices lean deli ham
1/4 avocado, sliced
sliced apple

3pm Afternoon snack (169 calories; 2 points):
1 medium banana
1 sugar free jello pudding snack

5:30 pm Dinner (356 calories; 9 points):
1 lean hamburger patty on a whole wheat bun
with lettuce, bbq sauce & mustard
steamed green beans drizzled with low fat balsamic vinaigrette
dessert - sugar free raspberry jello

Total approximate calories for the day: 1535
Total PointsPlus: 32
Serv protein: 4
Serv whole grains: 4
Serv fruit & veggies: 6 (not counting orange juice)
Serv dairy: 3

I exactly hit my Points target for the day, and I'm perfectly in range for calories, carbs, fat, and protein according to sparkpeople. In looking at the nutritional stats in grams, I think I should be getting more protein, and I could stand to lower the carb intake a bit. Seeing the totals for everything caused me to rethink some of the choices I was going to make today. I was originally going to have pita chips instead of a banana, caramel dip with my apple, and cheese on my burger. But I decided those weren't worth the extra 7 points/150-200 calories.

If you haven't tried journaling your food, you should definitely try it. I find it helpful to plan everything out before I eat it. That way I know exactly how much I should be eating. It's an extremely useful tool when trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. You can check out free sites like sparkpeople or the daily plate. I still love the Weight Watchers program. If you don't want to go to meetings, their online eTools are available for $17.95 a month. You can even download the eTools app to your smartphone and track as you go!



No comments:

Post a Comment